Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Youth In Action: A World Where Youth Hold the Power

 

 What I take away from this article is, Youth have the capacity, knowledge and skills to lead but are continually marginalized by authority figures. They are not allowed a voice in their schools even though their opinions are valid and are needed. At YIA, they are free to voice whatever opinions, thoughts and reactions they have. Youth have been oppressed for a long time. They are ignored in areas that concern them such as: Politics, School, and their Community.  Growing up I was told,"Whatever opinions you have, keep them to yourself. If you don't, your teachers and principal will think you are being rude". I was eight at the time. Needless to say, I listened to my parents. I went to school, did my work and believed everything adults told me. Even when teachers would say,"I welcome different opinions, debates, and critical thinking", I never believed them.When I felt the urge to raise my hand and ask questions or challenge their ideologies, I always thought of my parents. Nwando Ofokansi, a YIA Alumni(class of 2008), said something that made up my primary and secondary years of school. 
"Outside[YIA] you're just a kid, you're parents pay the rent, buy the food, and make the decisions-so it's like you're not even a person yet. you're basically somebody else's person, somebody else's property"(p.51). Which then leads some adults to make assumptions like; Teenagers do not care about their education, politics or their community. 

Within Youth in Action 5 Key Concepts are being produced:
1. A New Definition of Youth- Teenagers want to alter the  negative labels they are given within their communities, schools, and global arena. 

2. Youth and Adults are growing together- Within YIA adults and youth are doing something not that many adults want to do with youth today, working together. If you work collectively with kids you will not regret it. You can learn from one another. This is what's happening at YIA.  I truly believe some adult figures are threatened by the Milena generation. We are, according to the Farleigh Dickerson University Online Magazine   technologically savvy, multi-taskers and future leaders. We possess the necessary KSAOC's( Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics) to lead organizations and businesses to the next level. 

3. A practice of Disagreement- When I was in high school, disagreement would get you a one way trip to detention. If you disagreed with a teacher, they made it seem as though you were being disrespectful and attacking their views. The teachers held the power and more often than not, they let it go over their heads. Youth in Action welcomes disagreement. Disagreement within YIA leads to discussion. When people are able to discuss their views people they are more likely to become open-minded and welcoming to new perspectives. Or they might say, "Oh, I never thought about so and so in that way". Learning stems from disagreement. 

4.  Learning and Speaking Truth-  Last semester my friend quoted a quote from Aldous Huxley's Proper Studies. She said, "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored". It seems self explanatory but I did not see it that way when she recited it. It took me 10 minutes to understand that the word Truth was the main concept. We can try to ignore the reality of a situation or try to cover it up so that we look good but it does not change the fact that the facts still exist. As long as we keep doing this we will never grow as a society. We will never be equal. At YIA facts are told ". Once they are told the truth emerges. 

5. That Better World- Adeola Oredola's experience as a high school student made me think about my college journey. Looking back three or four years ago, I can only think of  two or three people outside of my family that supported me with college . My guidance counselor did little to support me.  Simmons College in Boston Massachusetts was one of my top five choices for school. Some of my teachers actually said, "Essence don't waste your time applying for Simmons. They don't accept students that attend school within the Providence School Department. I was angry, and disgusted that someone who was suppose to support me would actually spit on my dream. A guidance counselor told my sister there was no way she would ever become a doctor because she didn't excel in math.She did not listen to her but that does not change the fact that she in my opinion belittled her dream. One of Adeola's goals is to show others how to create an environment where youth and adults can work together toward social justice and education for liberation"(pg. 54).


                                               Vision:

Youth In Action, where youth share their stories, practice leadership, and create change in their communities.
A world where young people are at the forefront of creating positive social change.


6 comments:

  1. I know that this organization definitely spoke to you and to what you want to do! I thought of you immediately after reading the first paragraph!! I like that you added your own experiences in the concepts too. Keep it up, Essence!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! So kind of piggy backing on the comment you left under my blog, everyone finds their voice at different times in their lives. I definitely feel if we had programs or even knew about YIA sooner, we would have found our voices sooner! I love your organizational skills. I think I'm organized then I see your blog and I'm like maybe I'm not that organized. Haha. The last paragraph really got to me though, it sucks when people aren't there to support your dreams and goals. I think that's why it is important for us to take the things we didn't appreciate or like from others, and do the opposite to help other youth and people. So I hope you take all that negativity and unsupported comments made by those people in your past and use it to better others future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! So kind of piggy backing on the comment you left under my blog, everyone finds their voice at different times in their lives. I definitely feel if we had programs or even knew about YIA sooner, we would have found our voices sooner! I love your organizational skills. I think I'm organized then I see your blog and I'm like maybe I'm not that organized. Haha. The last paragraph really got to me though, it sucks when people aren't there to support your dreams and goals. I think that's why it is important for us to take the things we didn't appreciate or like from others, and do the opposite to help other youth and people. So I hope you take all that negativity and unsupported comments made by those people in your past and use it to better others future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Essence!

    I want to start off by saying that I love the teenager post that you put up. I think it sets up the tone of you blog post for this week. The quote really makes you think, and it is a very important concept people should remember. I really liked how you used a personal example of how growing up you were told “Whatever opinions you have, keep them to yourself. If you don't, your teachers and principal will think you are being rude". Which so many of the students in YIA were also told. Your entire blog is well organized and a great read!

    -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is I'm glad you didn't listen to your guidance counselor and you applied to RIC. My guidance told me pretty much the same thing after I came back from the hospital - that there was no way I could get accepted to college and if I did that I could graduate from college. You earned your degree!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. My favorite part was the quote you posted at the very beginning. How true! I also love how you added personal anecdotes to your post. It is so important for us as youth workers to be supportive of youth and to encourage them to be all that they can be.

    ReplyDelete