Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Youth Development Horoscope

After taking the YD Inventory Horoscope, I found that I fit into the Risk, Resiliency and Prevention category. The focus within RRP (Risk, Resiliency and Prevention) is to "prevent negative outcomes" (through fostering protective factors). The orientation focus makes me turn my attention to high school and health class. I went to Central High School in Providence. We had five health teachers, and out of the five, only one talked about the ramifications of sex. If you were lucky, you got him as a health teacher. If you did not, you were at a lost. Which was sad because in  the year of 2012, 12 girls who I had known since my freshman year became pregnant. The gym teachers were angry at these girls for not using protection but ultimately, the fault was theirs. If they focused more on sex education and less on sports maybe the number of girls who had babies would have been low. Informal education should have been utilized in this situation. I believe the earlier you talk to youth about the risks of a situation, the better chance you have at  prevention.


The second category I scored high in was, Positive Youth Development. Every teenager and/or child has strengths. If they are given opportunities to showcase their strengths, positive outcomes will arise. We can use Youth in Action ( YIA) as an illustration. Teenagers sit on the board of directors . They make decisions. They are given multiple opportunities to make their communities, schools and society better. Adults within YIA, work with the teens. Not for and not against but with. This is Positive Youth Development. Having faith in the next generation establishing a positive relationship. Adults have to be willing to give youth a voice. A voice that is not dictated.



                                          

1 comment:

  1. Essence, your example of the 12 girls in your high school was perfect. I think about the different horoscopes and the one I feel like I identify with the least is Risk, Resiliency and Prevention. I often wonder if I feel that way because I was a teen mom. I don't think there was anything anyone could do to prevent that from happening. Its interesting how so much of our personal experiences dictate our horoscopes.

    ReplyDelete